Monday, June 18, 2007

I'm Just(in) Riley from the Block...

OK, first of all, I coulda swore that J-Lo used to sing "I'm just Jenny from the Bronx" until I made a bet with someone (Rebecca I think?) that I subsequently lost. In any case, I will never be *from* the Bronx, but I may soon live in the Bronx [insert shocker emoticon here]. My friend Melissa has a very nice 2-bedroom apartment that she owns and is offer to rent me the other room for a steep discount compared to what I currently pay for my studio. My lease is up in August and my landlord wants an answer soon on my renewal. Let's break it down:

Benefits:
  1. Melissa is an awesome cook and we cook for each other occasionally, so if we were in the same apartment it would be a pretty good setup.
  2. I can't remember the last time that I actually did something besides go back to my apartment during the week (exercise excluded). I am really a homebody during the week.
  3. I would see what it's like to live with a girl (if you didn't pick up on previous blog hints, you might consider re-reading)
  4. I would not have a lease to be bound to, meaning I could pick up and leave within a few weeks notice (again, consider re-reading previous posts). Even if I decide that living with Melissa is hell and I want to move to Billyburg in Brooklyn.
  5. Melissa doesn't mind visitors at all.
  6. Melissa is Mexi-American: Spanish language partner?!?
  7. Melissa works crazy hours for the energy company, so she's off a lot during the days and works at night, so it would only be like a part-time roommate.
  8. I need a change, I can't take the Upper East Side for much longer.
  9. This would do wonders for my street-cred and tough-guy image.
  10. There's actually a beach up there, supposedly pretty nice and [gasp] clean.
  11. Did I mention that I would save almost $1000 a month in rent/bills? Imagine the travel/gadget budget with that.
  12. She has a much bigger TV that I do, couches, Lazy-boy, and a stocked kitchen.
  13. She's the one person who is cheaper than me (besides some of the guys I work with).
Drawbacks:
  1. My commute would expand to roughly 45 minutes each way (15 minutes more than it currently is)
  2. Subway rides home at 3:00am on the rare weekends out on the town would be tough (of course I could just cab it).
  3. Getting downtown would take about an extra 1/2 hour (the 45-minute commute as it is now prevents me from going down there much anymore anyway).
  4. I wouldn't get to hang out with Andrea & Alan and Paul & Cathy (if/when they come home!)
  5. Melissa, how should I say it, likes a bit of attention
  6. Melissa has a cat that, as cats go, is chill. But, it's still a cat.
  7. Mom and pop natural food shops, restaurants, etc. are non-existent there, they will require a commute.
  8. I would be the only white guy in the zip code (not that I care much about that though).
  9. I couldn't be a snobby ass and brag about living in Manhattan (maybe this would fit better under "Benefits").
  10. Girlfriend gives me the eye-raising emoticon when I mention that I might be living with another girl (she's given me the ok, however ;o).
Comments?

J. Riley, it will be interesting to go back and read this in 6-months if I do end up moving north.

6 comments:

  1. veeery interesting! sounds like it might be kind of a cool get up, for now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:18 PM EDT

    I like you...but you're crazy! Our weekly visit to your place would drop to a monthly visit. No late night Pizza Roma for you, but you do have a Pizzeria Uno down the street ;^)

    -Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weekly visits to MY place? Ha! You guys have a wonderful couch for post Pizza Roma nights ;o) . No Pizzeria Uno for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the bronx? seriously? whatever happened for your jonesing to move to les? complete opposite direction? besides, the bronx is NOT nyc. you would really be changing your lifestyle.


    uuuhm....if you DO move, and have furniture/tv/etc to get rid of, can i check it out first? =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. East Village is ideal, but according to economics the opportunity cost of paying $1300 more a month makes it less appealing. The fact that I rarely go out anymore makes this move really make sense.

    And yes, you can have the first hack at any of my furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We would never see you! so sad!!!!

    ReplyDelete