Monday, September 10, 2007

B-to-the-X Update

Well, it's been a whole three weeks or so since I've relocated to the Bronx and
things are going pretty well. Like any move, there are a couple things that I
am struggling to come to grips with. I've compiled a short list:

1.) Lack of non-fast-food, non-Latin restaurants that even appear to pass health
code regulations.
2.) The grocery stores are terrible with very few organic items available and
with fruits and vegetables that are practically rotting on the shelves. I'll
stick with the Manhattan stores on my way home.
3.) It's a long-haul on the subway to get to the main airport. On the plus side,
the ride on a cab from the airport is quicker and cheaper than going to
Manhattan.
4.) I am not a cat person, and my roommate has a cat who's kitty-litter igloo is
outside my door. Not only does it wake me up every night by digging through the
kitty-litter (not to mention meowing), but the stench burns my nose-hairs when
it drops the kids off at the sandbox (so to speak). I am trying to train it to
keep the hell out of my room too, but it seems to be a little bit slow when it
comes to being trained. I wonder why it runs whenever it sees me?

Other than that, things are as expected. My commute can be annoying when trains
don't arrive on-time, but it doesn't take me more than an hour to get home
usually (thanks to express trains) and it gives me the chance to get a lot of
reading done during daylight hours. Paul and Cathy have been great too,
allowing me to crash on their couch on a Friday or Saturday night if it's going
to be a late one. For example, Saturday night we caught a great meal in TriBeCa
and a pretty good (but WAY too LOUD) Bruce Springsteen cover band at a concert
venue in the same neighborhood. I am not a huge Bruce fan, but we did see him
perform some songs at an event a few years back and he certainly does put on an
awesome performance....

J. Riley, I just finished reading Kite Runner, which was a very good page-turner
and I'm sure will make a great movie!

2 comments:

  1. 1) kite runner was SO good

    2)no sd stories/pics??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:47 PM EDT

    Unfortunatly for you some cats will never learn to be quite when they scratch. Your fortunate enough that the kitty burries his "kids." Our foster kitty Mannie thinks he does, when he only scratches the walls and that does nothing for the stench that escapes the igloo.

    ReplyDelete