Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Etiquette

So last year Jeff started a huge debate about unisex bathroom etiquette. When leaving the bathroom after urination, should a male: a.) Put the toilet seat down so that if it's a girl that follows, she doesn't have to touch the toilet seat (Chivalrous); b.) Leave the toilet seat up so that if it's a girl that follows, she knows you're not the one that just pissed all over the seat.

Personally, I stick with method B. Please discuss via the comments!

Completely unrelated other than the fact that it deals with etiquette, I have another conundrum. I live on the third floor of the building. I always take the stairs so as not to appear lazy in the event that someone else is in the elevator (it's a pet peave of mine if someone takes the elevator when they live on floor <= three) and just to stretch the legs. The resident does not pass the elevators when entering the stairwell. Unlike the manners in NYC, if I walk through the front doors with someone, sometimes the person will go in the elevator and hold the door while I quickly get my mail. So I'm stuck. Do I: a.) Take the elevator so that I can thank the person for holding the door, and be the annoying person who takes the elevator to floor three; b.) Take the elevator to floor five so that I can thank the person for holding the door and not be the annoying person, exit, and walk down two flights of stairs; c.) As per normal, take the stairs and do not aknowledge someone's manners; d.) Take the stairs after yelling down the hall to the elevator "Thanks, but I'm taking the stairs", making the assumption that they are holding the door for me, when in reality maybe the door just hasn't shut yet. This question is much more difficult as I have a 25% chance of making the right choice compared to a 50% in the first question. Personally, I still have some NYC in me and go with option C :) Please discuss via the comments!

J. Riley, I saw a pygmy dump truck today that I failed to capture on my phone camera. Short and stout, I believe it is a member of the species Bobus Belfryus.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:50 PM EST

    a). She will not believe you anyway. I remember Jennifer P. getting all over me on this at Mr Toad's bar in Capitola. Funny what you remember....

    d). If the door is in fact stuck, and you beat them up the stairs, they are less likely to punch your lights out, and maybe will hold it next time.

    Of course I am from the older generation where people had some sense of courtesy towards each other!

    DH

    ReplyDelete
  2. what i always do with the elevator thing is make eye contact with the person, smile and shake my head no. that way, if they ARE waiting for you they get the message, and if theyre not they just think youre friendly...maybe a little too friendly, but whatev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a) I don't really care if the seat is left up UNLESS there's piss all over it. That's just gross.

    b) What Susannah said. I'd make eye contact and if they smile like "hey I'm waiting for you!", I'd think a smile and "Oh no thanks!" would suffice. If you get off on the 5th floor and that happens to be their floor you're stuck looking like a stalker wandering around the halls to the staircase

    ReplyDelete