Sunday, January 04, 2009

Steals of Deals

This weekend, I had to get some purchases out of the way. I've been looking around town for good deals on suit purchases, since, according to the wife, I need a new one for my wedding. I was thinking of something dapper with green pinstripes and she was thinking straight black, so straight black it was! I was thinking about ordering a custom suit from indochino, which I've heard great things about, but some of the measurements on me were suspicious, so I decided to go the retail route, for better or worse. On Friday after work, I finally ended up at the monster Macy's in town.

Earlier in the week, I had, for some strange reason, tried on a Hugo Boss jacket that was soooooo awesome I almost bought it without looking at the price tag. But, alas, I made the mistake of thinking with the brain in my pocket (you know, my wallet ;o) and looked at the price tag and it was waaaaay out of my league. So, when I went to Macy's, knowing fully well that they were in recession mode with massive sales, I beelined for the Hugo stands to see if I could get a deal. Before I even tried anything the salesman gave me on, I told him if there were pleats on the pants, there would be no deal. I am amazed at how many places still have pants with pleats on them! Come on, work with me here! Pleats have been dead for years!

Anyway, the salesman was great and showed me a variety of very nice suits before I decided that my slim frame needed a three-button. The first three-button suit he brings me is a slim-fit Italian suit with wrinkle-free pants (open jaw, drag it on the floor). I had to try it on because it was 30% off, plus 15% off for opening a new Macy's card account. Oh daddy, was this thing sweet. The pants were so nice and slim, I would have bought it for them alone. It was juuuuust a bit out of my price range though. I told the salesman to pull that magic out of his back pocket and seal the deal for me. He checked the price for it on the computer and it was $100 lower. Plus he was going to give me the "I live in New Jersey" 11% off discount. But damn if he couldn't quite break the $400 limit that I was trying to keep kosher with.

So, I ended up going with another nice three button $500 Alfani suit for $160 that the salesman cooincidently was wearing and also recommended. It was just too good of a deal! After that, with my 15% Macy's discount in tow, I went down to find a white shirt to wear (since, believe it or not, I don't have one). I couldn't find anything slim fit so I was just going to buy a belt when Erika came across a slim fit designer (not that that matters) shirt for $42 that came out to be $16 after the sale and discount! I couldn't believe my luck.

And finally, yesterday we went t-shirt hunting because Erika's mom accuses me of wearing the same yellow shirt everytime I see her. I struck gold at Lucky with 50% off t-shirts and then at Urban Outfitters where I found a $10 Paul Frank t-shirt that are both neither yellow and should hold me over until I can go discount shopping in Peru's shopping district next month :o)

J. Riley, I know I skipped the holidays, I'll get to them later (I hope!)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:46 AM EST

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete