Monday, February 09, 2009

T Minus Six Days

I totally fell off the wagon last week, just in time for my trip to Peru. It all started with the fact that my company is broke and didn't have any money for a Christmas party - not a free one anyway. They had plenty of other parties, most of which we had to pay for ourselves (lame). But there were some departments that bought some stuff, so we used to find out who and were and get our fix. But it became too much and I had to cut back due to health concerns. I mean, the body can only take so much before it starts breaking down.

Last week, we had an after-work engagement, so we sat around filling our bellies. I resisted for a while before I gave in and said "I'll just have one"...which turned into two. After our activity, we had some left over so everyone loaded me up with it since I live the closest to work and could probably get away with finishing it off since Erika is out of town.

So, I pretty much had one or two a night until Friday, when it was finished off. It was cheap stuff, so it wasn't exactly "good" but it was there and easily available so I couldn't resist a cold one at night, despite the weather. Saturday rolls around and I had to get up early due to a volunteer activity (that will soon cease to exist after three years of trusty and faithful leadership ;o) and I was jimmying for another one, but I had already finished it off and made a smoothy instead, hoping to cleanse my body of impurities digested during the previous week's binge. After the activity, we took the kids across the street from the cathedral where we were going to have lunch and seeing it right when we walked in, I knew that I was going to have to go for one.

And maybe it's only because of the low quality stuff I'd been downing all week, but damn, once it hits your lips, it's so good! But, I swear, I will never eat pizza again! I've just had too much!!!!

In other news, I had a nice little weekend planned. Mostly it centered around the volunteer event, celebrating Liverpool's inevitable win, and a birthday party at SOB's nightclub Saturday night. I got invited to go out to dinner, but I just didn't know if I would have the TIME. But since it was going to be in the same neighborhood as SOB's, I obliged and joined them at Philip Marie, which had one of the best menus and food that I've had in a long, long time, no small words for a foodie in New York. Everything on the menu seriously had something that I fiercely desired, and the quality (and value, really) was immaculate. Not bad for a place that I had bypassed a few years back in lieu of eating some cheap Asian noodles across the street (not by my choice).

After getting home at 4:00am from SOB's on Sunday morning (god, I love that place), I spent the rest of the weekend pretty much glued to my TV, watching the PBS show Frontline, which, like all PBS shows, is available via their website for free. I learned about Afghanistan and the Iraq war fiasco (Bush's War, highly recommended) before I finally burned out on too many documentaries....

J. Riley, two days til liftoff...

1 comment:

  1. hmmm, i noticed you didnt write anything about liverpool's humiliating defeat to their rivals. how odd.... =)

    ReplyDelete