Monday, May 04, 2009

I Heart Gnu Computers

Ever since I've moved to New York, I haven't been able to spend as much time geeking with computers running Linux because I don't have the luxury of a spare closet or one cubic foot of floorspace to let a second computer humm away and serve up web pages.

One of the projects that Stefan and I have been working on for a few years now is finding decent a decent free photo album program to allow him to showcase his pictures from his Linux box. A few weeks ago, we found zenphoto, which seems to have all of the characteristics that we have been looking for, like slideshows, nifty themes, and ease-of-use for both the picture uploader and the visitor. We set about upgrading his Linux computer with the latest version of Ubuntu, Apache web server, MySQL, PHP, etc. and tried out the photo album software, but it was painfully slow and I was disappointed since Linux is supposed to run fast on the oldest computers. So, I blamed Stefan's internet connection and instructed him to upgrade to FiOS, already!

He wouldn't upgrade his internet connection, but he did do something better - he bought a new computer! Ahh....the life of bachelorhood ;o). The results are astonishing and the web pages are being served fast and furious! Check out some of our professional wedding pictures and add the RSS feed at the bottom of the page to your Google Reader to see when new pictures are posted as we travel the world.

J. Riley, thanks for my new computer Stefan.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:56 AM EDT

    Dear Erika and Justin! Congratulation for your wedding again - and for the beautiful pictures! You both look fantastic and I´m really sorry for not being there and see you guys on that special day.Anyway,I followed every moment from your blog and wish You a happy,long marriage with full of LOVE, joy and children! :)
    Csilla

    ReplyDelete