Friday, September 23, 2005

Bye-Bye Spacers....for now :o(

I had the spacers removed from my upper teeth this afternoon, so there's no more pain there. I only have braces on the back five teeth on each side of my lower jaw, and they are pretty straight as-is. Problem was that they were starting to tilt towards the inside of my mouth in order to match my upper jaw, so the braces are there to pull them back out (however that works). You can't even see them, really, and the spacers in my upper jaw were the only things causing a lot of pain.

But with my vacation to Brazil in a month and a half, I decided to put off the surgery on my upper jaw until afterwards. For three reasons, really 1.) the doctor says the few weeks after the surgery are crucial and they want to keep an eye on how things are going, 2.) I want to be able to eat in Brazil! The recovery would probably be a few weeks and it looks like I wouldn't be able to do the surgery until mid October at the earliest, and 3.) I'll probably need to fly someone out here to take care of me for a few days and the flights would've been outrageous on such short notice. I have Summer lined up for that, though. So it just made sense to put it off, even if it pushes my completion back another month or two....

J. Riley, welcome home mom and dad!

1 comment: