Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Snow White & The Seven Drawers

As most people have heard, we had a massive, record-breaking snow storm last Sunday with over two-feet of snow. Besides the fact that the city is beautiful when it's white all over, it's extremely quiet since most of the taxis are off the road and the ones that aren't don't dare stop or else they'll be stuck. I was looking out my window at one taxi and realized that it would suck to take a taxi with all that snow outside. Since they are all metered and usually have bald tires, their wheels are spinning like twice as fast as the car is actually going, running up the meter-fare twice as fast. Not that it would affect me, since I didn't dare step outside during the whole day, choosing to sit back and watch the Olympics instead. I guess I shoulda gone to Central Park and walked around or something...

Anyways, Saturday I did my volunteer gig and released my inner-child by playing lazer tag with kids 1/4 my age. I was all stoked to play until I saw that the little punks kept nailing my sensors and knocked my score down. I love lazer tag though, I was totally sweating like a pig afterwards from running around and picking everyone off. That goes to show what good shape I'm in ;o) . I've actually been going to the gym a few nights a week for the past few weeks and trying to get back in sh...I mean get in shape. I need to step it up a few more notches though, and I do have aspirations of four nights a week. We'll see if I get to that point.

My teeth and jaw are mostly fine as far as pain goes. I went to a new dentist yesterday who used a high-tech torture device to clean all the plaque off my teeth. It was like an electronic needle thing that blasts the plaque and calcium from my teeth with streams of water. The first indication that it was going to suck was when they numbed up my mouth with some topical anesthesia, and even then it sucked. But when is going to the dentist ever fun? To top it off, they found a small cavity that I'm going to have to get filled soon. Maybe I can get them to order some of that anesthesia they used on me for my surgery and they can do whatever they want in there. Regardless, suffice to say that I had lots of pent-up anger that I was able to channel for my spin class last night!

As is typical, I had no Valentine's Day plans last night so I figured I'd cook (soup, of course!) for some of my friends. A couple of people bailed out on my last-minute invitations because they were lazy (ahem...Alan!) or sick, but my friends Melissa came by since her calendar freed up at the last minute and her Valentine lives in Baltimore. We had some awesome lentil soup along with bread, dessert from Eli's, and of course some vino and talked about her recent trip to Peru and what not. She inspired me to have another South America party in a few weeks and utilize my gift-bottles of pisco that Vanessa sent back with her. If it's as epic as the last one, it will be a fun event for sure!

I got my bill from the hospital today and, as expected, it was mostly covered by insurance. It's kinda funny to see the itemized list of things that they charged for. Fun stuff like saw blades ($168! I guess they didn't use their Home Depot club card for that one), venodyne sleeves, and "burr". I have no idea what "burr" is, but hopefully it's not related to my convulsions when I woke up freezing cold....

J. Riley, as much as I liked my title-pun, I couldn't do anything with it. My apartment doesn't even have seven drawers!

8 comments:

  1. how's that weightlifting coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:23 PM EST

    it is snowing in the bay area to. Well, kind of, mt hamilton is totally white. That is about as close as it gets. Of course it was like 75 for the last 2 weeks. The trees are confused...


    DH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:18 PM EST

    Maybe the drawers could be your underwear, slacks, you know......be creative! We have snow on the mts. in Saratoga, too! We think it is freezing at 40 degrees, daytime, yesterday! Burrrrr......
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were girls laying out on campus in little bikini's the other day...snow? whats that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful in NYC. I have an itch to move... send more pictures of your mouth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:18 PM EST

    Where are you? Buried in the snow? Nana

    ReplyDelete
  8. The card carrying members of the J. Riley fan club are anxiously awaiting a new blog entry. Yoga, mosaics, and J. Riley blogs are all I have to fill my Cyprus days :^)

    -Paul

    ReplyDelete