Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dirty Jerseys

First of all, an awesome quote from one of my Jersey-residing coworkers (P&C, this one's for you): "After we went to the movies on Saturday, we went to Olive Garden for dinner with some friends. I talked my wife into trying the sangria and she loved it! It was so good that we went to Costco and bought sangria mix." Am I being snobby for laughing at this story?

If that wasn't snobby enough, I actually ventured off the island this weekend and went to Hoboken, Jersey for most of Saturday. They have an annual St. Patrick's Day party two weeks before the rest of the world celebrates it (why? Not really sure, but whatever). So I met up with Melissa and we hoofed it over to the other side of the Hudson. I've been there a total of one times since I moved here because it's....different. It's the complete antithesis to New York City, but some people like that, so that's their perogative. In any case, we got over there at about noon and we couldn't get into any of Hoboken's many bars because they were already full (and we were late). We met up with some of Melissa's friends after they emerged from one place and headed down to check out a place that supposedly had no line. We got in there, and it brought back memories of my night in Hoboken - cute, early-20's blonde white girls, frat boys, loud & obnoxious guys with heavy Jersey accents cussing and swearing, cigarette smoke filling the place (and subsequently filling my virgin lungs and requiring my wool cardigan to be dry-cleaned)....etc. And cheap drinks - no complaints for that one! I felt like I was in college again, except that I think I've matured a bit in the five years since then and prefer intellectual conversations and sipping (ahem!) sangria over playing drunk bingo where the winner is dubbed the @$$hole of the moment by the loud & obnoxious MC and is paraded around the place to their giggling glee with a cardboard sign around their neck. Sigh. Actually, I had a pretty good time with Melissa and her friends, but I'm more than happy to make this is a once-a-year-MAX event...

Justinho, more to come tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. That quote made me laugh out loud...just classic. Hopefully, you will keep our NYC O'Hurley tradition alive this year once the real St. Patty's rolls around. There is nothing like the warm Irish hospitality of Mr. O'Hurley's welcoming handshake and cheerful smile followed by Mrs. O'Hurley's fabulous Irish Stew.

    -Paul

    P.S. "Come Out to New Jersey: It's Not as Bad as it Smells."

    ReplyDelete