Saturday, March 25, 2006

J. Riley Knows How To Hold'm

Last weekend I once again established my dominance in the art of Texas Hold'm poker. Or, as Stefan would say, I once again established that there is a horse-shoe up my arse. You know, people keep saying that I get lucky all the time, but when it comes to poker, as Roland can attest, luck runs out and the odds end up winning most of the time. Maybe it's my genes from Nana?

In any case, I took the liberty to invite myself to attend a poker event at one of Alan's former coworkers house. Well, I was sort of invited by Alan and I was all about playing a "Jewish Stakes" game ($20 buy-in) down in Brooklyn. There were six people playing - 5 of whom were cream-of-the-crop investment banking guys from Goldman Sachs. And then there was little, quiet Justin from the west coast. Rather than playing by the poker "rules", I play by gut and don't analyze each play too much. In any case, I showed them what's up and took the pot with first place on that game ($80, not too shabby). And, yes, I won on the River Card, as usual :o). The guy who I beat on the last hand was incensed because I wasn't supposed to play the hand with the cards I had, but I wasn't going to fold with two 3's in-hand!

J. Riley, it's a lovely 40 degree day outside, so I better get my chores for the day done!

4 comments:

  1. Totally off the subject, but I thought you'd like this-
    taken from the 'Sign of the Apocalypse' section of sports illustrated:
    "English soccer club Liverpool apologized to Manchester United afer its fans pelted United supporters with coins, food and human excrement."

    Throwing crap (literally) at opposing fans?? Thats AWESOME! American sports are SO boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, that's supposed to be 'after'. College education? huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:14 PM EST

    some people are poor losers! Yes, you definitely have the "Gladu" poker blood in you, Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:58 PM EDT

    Perhaps the loser should read "When Genius Failed." Roger Lowenstein is an entertaining author, in my opinion.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375758259/002-8328068-1983255?v=glance&n=283155

    ReplyDelete