Friday, April 03, 2009

The Doctor is On-Duty

Those of you who have had the privilege of visiting/living in my
apartment know that cleanliness is of vital importance and is probably
the most enjoyable activity I can possibly engage in during my
free-time :o|. Or you could ask Erika, who will tell you that when
there are dishes that need to be washed, I can't sit still until I
make sure they are all hand-washed, hand-dried, polished, and gently
laid to rest in their proper cabinet space.

But seriously? I am actually looking forward to cleaning my apartment
this weekend. Earlier this week, while clipping my toenails in the
bathtub (is that too much information?), I noticed that my feet were
leaving dirty spots in the bathtub when they got a little wet. And I
had just taken a shower a few hours earlier. Clearly, there was no
other reason for this than the fact that our grey carpet is
disgustingly dirty, despite the fact that we vacuum. Frequently.

So, off to the internet I went to find a solution to my woes. I
dreaded the thought of hiring somebody to do something like this, so I
was looking around for some steam-cleaning unit to rent. And I found
it! The Rug Doctor. It's reasonably priced for renting, is available
at my local grocery store, and supposedly does a dang good job. Just
spend half your evening watching the cheesy demo-commercial on their
website (rent.rugdoctor.com). What worries me is that this video is
STRAIGHT out of a late-night informercial; and cue memories of buying
the flat hose for mother's day one year. What a disaster that was.

Has anyone else out there used this thing? My boss gave it good
reviews, but he's from New Jersey. I'm thinking about getting it
tonight at midnight since it's a 24-hour rental. And I'm totally
stoked about getting on with this!

J. Riley, Rug MD.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:51 PM EDT

    My experienc (long time ago) is that most of those are a waste of money. Pay to have someone come in and get it over with..

    DH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:29 PM EDT

    I agree with your dad...not to mention the carpet cleaning company will ensure that your carpet will dry in a resonable amount of time. Not to mention after a few trips to the bathtub to empty the dirty water from the bin you will wish you had someone come and do it for you.

    ReplyDelete