Monday, April 13, 2009

Rug Doctor Doo-lot

In the last post, I talked about how excited I was to get to weekend cleaning and putting the Rug Doctor into action. Well, the first part of my plan was successful: renting the Rug Doctor in the wee hours of Saturday morning to make sure I had enough time to clean the carpet and return it on Sunday. We came home from a movie and gluten-free pizza at Sean's at about 2:30am and picked up the unit at our local grocery store before dragging it home. But, unfortunately, there was no way I was going to vacuum half of my apartment at 3:00am, especially considering our thin walls. I imagine the neighbors would not be pleased about that.

So Saturday, at around 9:00am, I woke up and got into the action of it all. The plan was to vacuum half the apartment, take a two hour break for the Liverpool game, and then vacuum the other half of the apartment. Supposedly, the carpet is supposed to dry in like three hours. It turned out that I vacuumed almost the whole carpet before the game, but the carpet was still sopping wet when the game was over. However, the water that got sucked up was filthy dirty, super nasty, so I know that even if it didn't work as well as advertised, it was certainly doing something.

Later in the evening, the carpet STILL wasn't dry but since we were going to take the doctor back, I went ahead and did another round of vacuuming and, again, the water was super nasty. We spent extra time on the vacuuming part (as opposed to the watering/cleaning part) to try to get as much moisture as we could out of the rug and the next morning it was STILL wet.

My verdict on the Rug Doctor: It didn't work quite as well as advertised and it took way too long to dry, but the rug is definitely cleaner, as evidenced by exhibit A: my feet are clean after walking around barefoot all day on the carpet. So it was definitely worth the $42 I spent renting the unit. Next time, I just have to remember to spend that extra time on sucking up the moisture.

I certainly enjoyed my experience with that doctor, but didn't enjoy my experience with the next doctor: my dentist. There are three DMDs in the office that I visit to have my teeth cleaned, one of which I hate. At the last visit, she told me I grind my teeth and needed a mouth guard. Uhh, fact: I don't grind my teeth anymore, so don't sound so convinced before you know my medical history. She seems to take extra special joy and sounds excited when she finds the inevitable problems with my teeth. In fact, in this particular visit last week, I thought she was going to bust out the Don Perignon when she told me that I was going to need to come back in a few weeks to have some problems fixed. She told me I need a crown put on the tooth that I had a root canal on like three years ago. Hello? Why didn't someone tell me this before? In fact, this was the same office that told me I needed a root canal, it woulda been nice for them to mention or suggest that at the time. If it weren't for the hi-tech cleaning techniques and their DVD goggles that I get to wear when they fix my teeth (i.e. cavities, etc.) , I woulda left a long time ago.

But it gets better. Not only do I get to get a crown, but in addition I also need a cavity filling and a porcelain filling, or so the receptionist told me when I was about to check out. Uhh, what's the difference? A porcelain filling is another crown! TWO F'ING CROWNS and a filling. No wonder the DMD was acting like she was sniffing her laughing gas and so happy to see me. I guess there's no recession for her when people like me have to pay four-figure fees to get my teeth fixed. Next time, I'll stick with my regular DMD, thank you very much.

J. Riley, now that was a rant. I'm looking into dental services (crowns) in Peru, certainly will save significant cash with the same/better quality of service.

1 comment:

  1. DUDE!

    You spend way too much money on a dentist, you might as well pack up your suitcase and come for a 2 week vacation to East Europe, there are some real nice vacation packages that mix pleasure with dentist appointments. And to be honest i think these dentists are world class too, for the third of the money. Oh yeah and you guys can come visit us again. :)

    R

    ReplyDelete