Thursday, December 09, 2004

Can I Rock Pink?

I've added a few new items to my wardrobe lately, which has (temporarily) quenched my thirst for shopping and required me to go buy some more wooden hangers (I mean, I surely can't use metal hangers, right?). I bought a new dual-use shirt at Banana (on sale, of course) and when picking up my new, tailored pants (non-pleated) from Jos A. Bank yesterday, I went ahead and purchased the required "white" shirt for work and formal occassions - textured, non-wrinkle cotton button up (on sale, of course). I find it midly amusing that I will, on a whim, spend double digits on a shirt but have a real hard time spending $3 on fabric softener sheets. In the academic world, this is known as "The Yogurt Affect" (self titled; possible research thesis if I ever decide to get my PhD in marketing).

But, getting back to my title: I can't stand Banana Republic. But I like them, sometimes. What can I say? They do have nice clothes, good quality stuff, fashionable (for a yuppy), and I find their shirts fit me very well. But it's expensive, and it seems like the whole city is crammed into each store. But I bought this new shirt (on sale, I repeat), and it's kinda risque: White base, with lots of red-hue stripes on it....including pink. I mean, my closet it chock-full of blues, yellows, oranges, grays, browns, greens, but very little reds, and NO pinks (or, as they say on Friends, "salmon"). I made sure to save the receipt for this shirt, because I wasn't sure if it would work with me. But, as they say in NY, "pink is the new black". I really have no idea what they mean by that.

After a few hours of ironing last night (I got through two shirts), the new shirt was queued up for today. The question lingered all last night: Can I really rock pink?

Why, Yes I Can.

The J. Riley