Sunday, April 24, 2005

Moving on Up(stairs)?

I ran into my superindendent (figuratively, not literally) on Saturday and he asked if I was moving out soon. Uhhh.....not that I know of. Unless my landlord has it in for me. While we were on the subject, I asked him if there were any other studios available in the building. As much as I enjoy watching people walk by, the street noise on my second floor apartment is really bad, especially at noon on Saturdays when the garbage truck rumbles up and wakes my ass up waaaay too early. Turns out there's a studio that's exactly the same as mine available on the sixth floor. Wohh.....sweet. All the other buildings around me are about five floors high, so it has an amazing view and has tons and tons of daylight. And considerably less noise. Stupid garbage trucks....Anyway, I am going to find out how much more that spot is and, if it's reasonable, I might be utilizing the elevator a bit more than I do now.

Speaking of apartment prices, Time Out New York had an apartment special in this weeks magazine and they said that most people spend about 30% of their salary on rent here in the city. Yikes!! I'm throwing about 20% into my pad as it is, I can't imagine throwing another 10% of my salary down the drain. Crazy! Maybe I won't be moving into a SoHo or East Village closet anytime soon afterall!

As all of you know very well, I tend to eat at a slow pace. Though most people find it healthy, I find it annoying to have to eat half my dinner cold most of the time. I once analyzed my eating habits to figure out what was taking so much time and I realized that I usually wait until the taste leaves my mouth before taking the next bite of my food. I went out with this occupational therapist on Friday night and she brought up an interesting hypothesis about this. She wondered if I was physically more sensitive than most people. Naturally, being a man, I brushed this off at first (I mean, Sean's the one who gets the facials and pedicures, not me). But as I thought about it, I realized that it might actually be true. (I'm trying to think of an example other than my palette and I can't think of any right now). Interesting. Maybe I'll have to over-analyze that one some more....

Other than that, it was a very quiet, mellow, cold, and wet weekend....

J. Riley

P.S. Someone from Sc Johnson Commercial Markets went to town on my blog last week. Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:07 PM EDT

    maybe if you use the stairs rather than the elevator you can solve part of that problem of not getting to the gym?

    If the OT was cute enough I am sure you would have agreed no matter what she said!

    DH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only use the stairs right now, after all I'm only on the second floor ;-) .

    And my new health regimen is keeping me in shape, for sure. The only things keeping me from the gym now are Jewish holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, they want $150 more a month to move upstairs. Uhh...no thanks!

    ReplyDelete