Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Drilling For Oil

Or so it seemed my endontist was doing today when I went in to get my $1600 root canal :o|. Thank god for insurance, it's still going to take a nice chunk out of my savings, but at least it won't be the whole thing. And in return for said chunk of change? A nice, hollow bicuspid that they filled with some chemicals and that will probably start killing me in the next hour once all the ibuprofen that I took earlier wear off. On top of that, I can't eat on that side (my prefered side, by the way) of my mouth for over a week, when I get to go back to my dentist to get a crown on top of the hole.

The root canal was surprisingly not a big deal, other than the fact that it's so freaking expensive (I'd consider flossing if I were you) and that I still have to go in for more pain when they put the massive filling (crown) in. He did inject my gums with several shots of novocaine, which is probably why there was no pain. As an added benefit, the little microscope thing that he looked through to drill out my tooth had just enough of a reflection for me to get an idea of all the stuff (like chlorine/bleach, cotton, and some medicine stuff) that he was pouring into the hollow, nerveless tooth. Exciting, I know! I need to focus on no more cavaties, especially deep ones that kill nerves and require root canals :o| .

J. Riley, I somehow need to get this crown done on the same day as the Liverpool game so that I can get the crown and then head to the pub to watch the Champion's League final right afterwards! Boss might get suspicious if I disappear two days in a row after lunch for "fillings"....

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:39 PM EDT

    sounds terrible. I am sure it is another one of those things that sounds worse than it is, especially given all the other oral stuff you have had in the last few years

    DH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oral stuff doesn't usually bother me :p but I am starting to understand the hell you are going through.

    Right there by your side.. :)

    ReplyDelete