Friday, January 14, 2005

Bio Hazard

So last night I pushed myself to attend my Thursday night cardio class at the gym. I was late (as usual), so I was hauling ass up the hill to get to the gym and get my spot in the class and do some yoga stretches to lengthen my muscles prior to them getting destroyed in class. Well I got all the way to the corner of the block that it was on when I noticed that the whole block was taped off the police. Luckily, I didn't have to go all the way around the block to get in, the gym security dudes had opened a side door. I asked what was up and they said that there was a "suspicious package" out front. Being a prestigious Jewish center, they are pretty tight on security and they don't mess around (almost like going through an airport just to go to the gym). So I flew up the stairs (I gotta get my steps in - even though I wasn't wearing the stepometer) only to find the class empty. A few people mingled in late, but still no motivational teacher. The girls in the class (let's face it, I'm one of the only guys, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Is there any doubt that I'm not in the back row of every class? ;o) started doing sit-ups, push-ups, jump rope, etc. on their own after a few minutes. But me? Hell no, I waited around a few minutes, determined that I couldn't motivate myself to do anything, and so I headed downstairs to the sauna to do a super-soak. I did find it mildly amusing that I was willing to risk being a victum in a bombing rather than miss my cardio class. I guess I figure that if I live my life in fear of being in a terrorist attack, I won't ever do anything fun. I have my contingency plans in place and have developed a succession plan in the event that something happens, so all the appropriate parties would be notified. So what do I have to worry about?

I got through three rounds of sauna-until-I'm-drenched followed by freezing cold shower, sauna-until-I'm-drenched...etc. I was nice and toasty after that, so I headed home with my shorts and t-shirt feeling nice and warm. I made a little something different for dinner - fruit parfait, or something similar to what mom used to make - yogurt with cut up fruit inside. A little yogurt salad, if you will. Was just right after a hearty business lunch!

Turns on someone left a medical case labeled with "Bio Hazard" across the street from the gym. Too bad the teacher never showed up :-\ ....

J. Riley