Friday, January 28, 2005

Learning to Learn

Random thought: What would it be like to grow up in an urban city like New York? I have no idea. I can't even fathom it. I always assumed that I would raise my children with a white picket fence around my lawn and be 20 feet from my neighbors. But I have no idea how kids who were raised in an urban environment turn out. I think I'll dwell on that for the next few days.

Here in New York, it seems like I'm learning something new everyday. Whether it's a new route that can potentially save me up to 30 seconds on my commute to the North Bronx, or learning that the Third Avenue Garden grocery store sells Tropicana orange juice for only $2.99, or learning that if I apply enough layers the temperature becomes tolerable and nothing to write home about. So, I'm walking home from making a delivery, and something else occurred to me. I suddenly realized, for the first time in my life, something very important. I realized that if I come home and hang my coat in my closet, put my scarfs away, hang my work-clothes up where they belong, and put my work shoes in the closet, my apartment stays clean!! So, putting those things together.....if I don't make the apartment dirty, it stays clean!! Incredible!!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to clean my apartment.

J. Riley