Monday, February 07, 2005

Amnesia

I recently experienced a terrible bout of amnesia, and I am not happy about it whatsoever. In fact, I am livid about it.

Here in New York, many of us do not have doorman at our buildings. I actually prefer not to have someone open the door for me, because I am perfectly capable and I feel sort of snobby when someone else is acting like my servant. However, there is one reason why doormen rule, and that is when you order something online and are expecting a delivery. Because without a doorman, you are forced to a.) risk someone snaking your package that is sitting in the lobby; b.) go down to the post office to pick up your package; c.) open the door on your own. However, I am lucky enough to have an office with a receptionist who can sign for my packages and will hold them until I come into the office next. Wow, what a great alternative!!

So last week I ordered some things from an online store for my digital camera, as well as a book that I've been wanting to read (Guns, Germs, and Steel). I followed the shipping online, saw that the receptionist had signed for it, so I headed down to the office to pick it up. Sure enough, my packages had vanished. Someone must have stolen them from right there on her desk. And I'm pissed!!! These people are paid to play solitaire, answer phones, and sign for packages. Now I'm out $55 for the camera accessories.

I've lost my LCD screen covers. And I've lost my (digital camera) memory. Damn, I hate amnesia....

J. Riley