Friday, March 18, 2005

A New York Moment

I had a NY moment on the subway this morning that I had to share. I'm riding the 4 train from Brooklyn back to Manhattan. Brooklyn is home to, among many many other people, Hacidic Jews, the ones that have the long, curly side-burns, the ten-gallon hats, and the black suits (I'm demonstrating my ignorance here). From what I know, these tend to be very conservative Jewish folks who spend a significant amount of time praying and reading their...documents. That are written in Hebrew or Yiddish (frankly, I can't understand or read either). But one characteristic of them reading is that they nod back-and-forth continuously while reading, as do the conservative elements of Islams (according to a documentary I saw once). So a whole bench in the subway was full of Hacidic Jews who were reading somewhat aloud, under their breath, and nodding - except for one fellow, who had his iPod on under his hoody sweatshirt. And he was nodding right along with them and rapping somewhat aloud, under his breath. It was just a funny experience to see a whole row nodding and reading/rapping outloud, but from two polar perspectives and purposes. Well, I guess you had to be there to appreciate it :o)....

J. Riley, sleep deprived before the weekend even begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment