Sunday, May 21, 2006

Movin' on Up

I'm really going places in the world. A few weeks ago I finally got my hands on a luxury item that I've considered buying many a time for the past few years. As a techie, I am naturally inclined to be an early adopter of the latest and greatest technology, but I've kind of resisted the urge to buy this item because I am cheap and, well, I never really had much use for one. But it's official - I am now the proud owner of a second-hand, hand-me-down DVD player for my TV. I guess this means I can finally watch DVDs on my TV with other people rather than gathering a crowd on my bed to watch them on my computer screen. Unless, well, the circumstances dictate that that is appropriate ;o).

As further evidence of the fact that I am going places, my orthodontist invited me to a private party at a bar/lounge/club in mid-town to celebrate the opening of his new office. In all honesty, he was just looking for an excuse to party. But this place that he had reserved was some swanky place that would require me to 1.) Not wear Pumas, 2.) Not wear jeans, and 3.) Wear a jacket. Time to dust off the suit! I don't typically like places that require me to wear items like that outside of work, but I figured I'd go check out the scene and bounce early if I felt like it. It was worth a shot since what could be better than a room full of people drooling over themselves and spitting at each other when they talk in slurred voices with mouths full of metal like mine. I just hoped they had toothpicks for everyone to pick the food out of our teeths after munching.

Instead, I arrived at a party full of models, doctors, surgeons and their trophy girlfriends. Yea, I fit right in at this party! I had hoped to hang out with my doctor's hot Czech receptionist and assistant - both of whom are very sweet and are teaching me Czech when I come in for my appointments - but they were working to door so I had to awkwardly mingle with people who already had straight teeth, didn't slur their speach, and with whom I had nothing in common with. Where were all the railroad-faced people??? After a few cocktails au gratis, I warmed up to the crowd and met some people who also had nothing in common with anyone and didn't know anyone there.

A few minutes later and I felt a shove from the back and turned around to see my orthodontist, who also happens to be a well-decorated Marine (rumor has it he was special forces) but not a large guy, facing off with a short, wide fellow. I have no idea what it was about, but they were yelling at each other and the wide fellow was telling him to step outside with him if he wants to fight. It was completely out of the blue and you can imagine how strange a scene like that is at a swanky club. Needless to say, my doctor had his Marine friends quarintine this guy until the huge bouncers came in to take the guy outside and kick his drunk ass out of the lounge. Something must have really incited my doctor, because I'll never forget the look in his eyes when he was staring the guy down, especially considering his calm, soft demeanor whenever I go in for checkups.

Soon thereafter, I met a young Hispanic couple that were hanging out at the party and we soon got to talking and I ended up hanging out with them for most of the rest of the night. Both were Army veterans and had actually met each other Salsa dancing in Iraq last year. They were really a kick in the pants to talk to, very funny interaction between each other. The little guy was quite a talker but I could tell that she put up with a lot of him :o).

After they took off, I headed to the now-combustible, hopping dancefloor to get my quotient of grooving on. Apparently just before I got there, my female Czech buddies were released from door duties and had hit the dance floor, so I got some dancing in with them and some of the other girls with them, which was great. The greatest part about the dance atmosphere was that they were playing some good techno stuff that had some great beats mixed in, in particular the Latin and Arabic style - both of which are my favorite styles of this music. Although the music was a little different, this was the first time I'd felt like I was in a European disco, which was quite comforting and reminded me of my last night in Slovakia last summer. Minus the suit, of course :)

J. Riley, Wait until you hear about the movie(s) I saw this weekend. To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:57 AM EDT

    Hey, congrats to your DVD player. Did you know you can download DVDs from the net? But please do not forget to buy the ones you download. Those ones are for backup only. Just as a small people attracting factor would be a nice plasma to your DVD. Surely liverpool game would be nice to watch on those. It's all about the size ;)R

    ReplyDelete