Sunday, November 19, 2006

Hard Candy That I Can't Eat

"Justin! Glad you could make it! How are you feeling? Bite down for me..." . Was I at the orthodontist office, or was I at a midtown nightclub lit up in red with 80's tunes blasting through the speakers at 11:00pm? A mix of both, I guess - a fundraiser hosted by my orthodontist at Lollipop. But I was definitely moderately amused by the fact that my orthodontist, decked out in a chic sport coat that had red stripes and red characters of some sort under his left arm (red was the theme) wanted to see how my bite had changed post-surgery (I haven't been in for an appointment since before the surgery). I gave him a sneak preview of my new mouth before feeling a bit awkward about showing as much mouth as possible to him while he's peering in in front of the crowd of socialites, super models, etc. that were attending. I told him he could take as much time as he wanted to check it out on Monday, when I go in for my next appointment ;o).

Like his previous party, I didn't see any other people with braces on, so I guess I was the only patient who attended (other than his surgeon brother's trophy girlfriend, who is lucky enough to be getting Invisalign treatments). I love going to his parties because the people-watching is absolutely fabulous. I would say that a majority of the girls who attend are either models or are Eastern Europeans, or both. I spoke to one Russian girl and to an Estonian dentist, who couldn't stop talking about herself and how she's so popular and knows the owner of Tao and who sometimes goes to work after partying all night and not sleeping (good way to impress potential clients). Talking to the Russian, who had no accent, was like pulling teeth (no pun intended), so many of these people are just so un-interesting to me! So it's more fun to sit back and just watch these people...

Netflix annoyed me by sending me the wrong movie on Friday. Instead of Legends of the Fall, I got three episodes of The Sopranos. Now, everyone raves about this show, and I've seen it a few times when I've stayed at hotels and it's never done much for me, but I figured I'd give it a chance since I was stuck with it for the weekend. Wow, what a waste of three hours! What is it about this show that people like it so much? The wife is a terrible actor and other than it being a mob movie, can someone please shed some light and why this show is so popular??

J. Riley, some great shows on the Discovery Channel, though (like Everest and Koppel on Iran). Oh, And yesterday I ate a vegetarian Mediterranean platter for lunch/dinner and pizza (fork and knife) for a late night snack!

3 comments:

  1. okay, a) i dont know which episodes of which season you got, but if you got the first three episodes of the first season than you are insane. the show is amazing and intense and it totally sucks you in. but if you got some random episodes with no context, then it probably wont be good. and ive heard the more recent seasons are not good. b) 80s music! bummed i missed it! but writing a huge paper is so much more fun... c) you wanted me to go to a party where i could be compared to a bunch of MODELS? hmmm...yeah, no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the first three episodes of Season 6. I needed someone that I could have a normal conversation with, hence the invite ;-) . And, at the first party I went to a few months back, there were a handful of normal people that were fun to talk to. This one was a smaller party and I didn't find any normal folks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm...mediterranean platter...(assuming its from the place around the corner)...

    ReplyDelete