Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Ades

Last night after hitting the gym I hit the grocery store to replenish
my empty refrigerator with random things to eat and I ended up buying
a strange collection of food, none of which goes with anything else. I
mean, I bought sardines and chipotle peppers for crying out loud! I
have never bought those ingredients in my entire life, but I remember
reading something about how sardines are super good for you (I hope)
and also a recipe that had some use for chipotle peppers. I couldn't
remember any other part of the recipe, though :o/ .

Anyway, I also found something that I had a love affair with in
Brazil. Every morning we had a Euro-style breakfast (which is a love
affair in itself) and always had these juices on hand with various
tropical flavors. There was one called "Ades" that was a mix of soy
milk and juice (apple, in the first instance) that I avoided like the
plague. I had experimented with soy milk in the past and was
disappointed that it did not live up to my standards of hot-cereal
lubrication that real milk provides. In addition, I bought some for
Erika recently due to her problems digesting our chemical-laden milk
and it was basically disgusting.

Well, to continue to story, our bounty of cashew juice, passion fruit
juice, etc. continued to deplete before I finally gave in and opened
up the soy milk + apple juice to try it. It had the cloudy, chalky
look that I remember but when I raised the glass and it touched my
lips, it was like pure heaven! It was delicious and while in Brazil, I
started making a mental inventory of our local grocery store trying to
figure out where it would be, but I couldn't identify it and could
only find the vanilla-flavored soy milk which I found disappointing.

Yesterday's trip to the grocery store was going to be a search and
rescue mission for my beloved soy milk + juice and while combing
through the Brazilian section of my grocery store, I was disappointed
to see that while they had the cashew juice, passion fruit, guava,
etc. boxes, they didn't have the soy milk + juice. I went ahead and
bought a box of the Ades juice anyway and this morning when I poured
some in my glass and sat astounded at the cloudy, chalky texture of
the juice, I knew that I struck gold! I'm super stoked that I have
found an integral part of my new daily breakfast.

J. Riley, unfortunately I bought the "fruit punch" style flavor that
is too sweet and is giving me heartburn as I type. I hope the peach
flavor (my favorite) that I'm going to buy tonight doesn't let me
down! Look for Ades in YOUR local store's ethnic food aisle!

2 comments:

  1. Soooo...why don't you MIX soy milk and juice? Trader Joe's has strawberry soy milk (more of a dessert than a juice) that tastes really good and not very soy-y...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to your post, I actually went found these in Mexico! They rock, except for the ones that are sweetened with Splenda. Because Splenda sucks. I like me some real sugar. I'm totally hooked, and will cry if I cannot find them or a suitable replacement on the next leg of our voyage. Thanks, Justin, for adding to my ever-growing list of addictions!

    ReplyDelete