Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Disconnected

Things have been a little bit crazy lately, technically speaking. For
the first time in my life, I actually have a computer that has been
fried. Dead hard drive? I've had one. Dead motherboard? I've had one.
Dead computer that involves the pungent smell of burning electronics?
I've got one laid out and dismantled in my apartment. The new
questions is what to do now? Do I rebuild it using questionable items
purchased off the internet, or do I just go buy a new one from Dell
for $270. Or do I purchase a dream of a laptop for $800? Comments are
welcome.

In other news, Erika and I have been geared up to start apartment
hunting this next month because our apartment management company is
trying to bed us over the barrel and charge us $300 more per month
than what they are offering apartments for new residents. Ex-squeeze
me? Baking Powder? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I live in Astoria and
am already paying more than comparable apartments. I wrote them an
email requesting that they offer me a lower rent and they offered to
freeze my rent for next year, meaning that I would pay only $200 more
per month than what they are offering apartments for new residents. I
don't think so. So I called them up and it sounds like I'm going to
get my way and get them to drop my rent a further $200 per month to
bring it in line with what new residents would pay. Maybe now I can
start saving money for once ;o)!

J. Riley, extra disposable income, no moving expenses, and in need of
a new computer. This will get dangerous...

1 comment:

  1. $800 for a dream laptop?! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me! As much as I'm sure Erika would love having tiny computer parts splayed out all over your place while trying to rebuild the crapped out one. And sweet deal on the apartment bargaining!

    ReplyDelete