Sunday, August 15, 2004

Craigslist: On The Record

This weekend I was lucky enough to take a day trip to an island called Fire Island, which is a small island about an hour from the city, just south of Long Island. I wasn't sure what to expect since this was my first trip to a vacation spot outside of the city. I thought it might be something like Catalina, off the coast of LA. But it was very much different. There was lots of tall grass growing and lots of vegatation. But the idea was pretty much the same - vacation homes for rent, no cars allowed, lots of trails, and beach! It was fun to be back at the beach for the first time in a while. The water was definetely warmer than it is in Santa Cruz, but not nearly as warm as San Diego. Because of the impending hurricane down south, the water and currents were rough, I definetely found out that I probably should keep to the areas where I could touch ground after I drifted about two hundred feet down the coast after just a few minutes....

Some of you know about Craigslist, which is sort of like an online community where you can buy and sell stuff, just about anything in fact. I actually found my apartment in New York from Craigslist. There's a good interview of Craig here. Interesting note for my computer friends, Craig still uses Pine for email, just like me :o) !!! For some entertainment, you can check out the Best of Craigslist.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:34 AM EDT

    i just bought a bed off of craigs list. now craig and his list are among my best friends ;o) ~winter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got two of my last SF apartments, a seafoam green dresser, lots of discounted lift tickets, and a vacation home on Kuai on Craigslist!!

    Did you read about eBay trying to buy the list?

    ReplyDelete