Tuesday, August 10, 2004

I saw it coming, but I should've seen it coming

When am I going to learn. Some of you probably remember an incident a few years back that happened to me at lunch in San Jose, when I met up with my PWC friends downtown for a nice little Indian feast. All white shirts in my closet have been specially designed to attrack equal and opposite colors, such as a brownish-red color from Indian masala. That mixture ended up on my shirt that day, just like many other times when I've eaten things like pasta.

I saw it coming.

Well, today I decided to reward myself at lunch with a healthy portion of Penne Vodka. After about five minutes of eating, I felt inner peace (it must be the yoga) and realized that none of the brownish-red sauce (a mixutre of heavy cream, vodka, and tomatoes, very good by the way) had been drawn like a magnet to one of my new white (with yellow and blue stripes) shirts. I thought to myself "this could be a miracle, I am going to focus my energy on putting only solidly-forked noodles on my eating utensil so that I can get through this meal without spilling." Sure enough, on the very next bite, mind you, a noodle from my fork lost it's grip and commanded the tomato sauce to part like the Red Sea (pun intended) and my dream of getting through a day with a clean white shirt was gone forever.

I should've seen it coming.

In other news, I amused quite a few people this weekend with an interesting fiscal strategy. I'm still recovering from my job switch, and the fact that I'm moving into a new place in a few weeks, which means I need to have some cash on hand for security deposits and what not. On Saturday, I decided that I would curb my spending and really put an effort into saving some money in the next few weeks. So, I drew $100 from my checking account and formally announced to all concerned parties that I would make this $100 last until the end of the month by relying on my frugal skills that got me to where I am today.

One baby-lobster-pasta, one bottle of wine, one chocalate fondue dessert, and several hours (and beers) later, that $100 had vanished. Less than 12 hours after my strategy had been inplemented, it had failed. I should've seen it coming....

This (19 mb video, modems beware) is amusing, if you like Will Ferrell...

1 comment:

  1. Ohh Justin - just think about it as living in "now"! Should I get you a Burberry bib to help you enjoy your fancy New York dinners?

    ReplyDelete