Friday, September 24, 2004

Chicken Soup For The...Wallet

So, all the travelling in Euroland has caught up to me. In addition to my pet chalazion, I'm also nursing a nasty cold., which decided to hit me yesterday after lunch. Maybe it was the free-range Brooklyn beef I ate at the free lunch provided by the hospital yesterday, who knows.

Regardless, I'm nursing this puppy and hoping to be fit for the weekend's festivities. So, rather than going to a party at my former boss's newly renovated apartment (oh, woh-is-me - I can't hang out with a bunch of EY people :o| ), I decided to take it easy tonight and have some chicken soup.

Whenever I need a ready-to-eat meal, I like to go to the neighborhood gourmet grocery store, Zabar's Vinegar Factory. Much like Whole Foods (or, as Ewa calls it, "Whole Paycheck"), it has fantastic grocery items, produce, and home-made items like soup - though I admit that I've never actually purchased any of these items to date (fore-shadowing!). I was totally ready to fork over the money required to buy this chicken-vegetable soup, but then I found it and saw the price tag. $5!!! $5???? $5 for 16 ounces of soup? I mean, I knew it would be good, but $5 good? I can buy a can of Campbells for less than a $1. So my brain began to churn over the numbers and the utility gained by eating $5 chicken soup versus $0.79 chicken soup while my eyes perused the freshly-made soup shelf looking for a lower-cost alternative to make me feel better. I quickly realized that, even though I just got a massive raise and can live comfortably in NYC on my new salary, this gourmet shopping thing is going to be tough. Especially for things like....yogurt (inside joke: I have mentioned to my friends here that sometimes I will deliberate for up to 10 minutes in front of the dairy section on whether I should by the yogurt on sale for $0.59 or if I should buy the good yogurt for $0.64 - and this is after I just forked over $5.00 for some gourmet, organic potato chips.)

I bought it. I ate it. It was excellent. But $5 excellent?

I'm going to bed,
J. Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment