Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Back On Track

Today I've returned to work after a nearly one week hiatus. It was pretty nice
spending copious amounts of time at home with no responsibilities except making
sure that all the shows I wanted to watch were Tivo'd and ensuring that no
Liverpool or other soccer news was released for more than 15 minutes before I'd
read it. Luckily I didn't have to worry

I have to admit that I'm getting a little tired of buying all of this liquid
food and sustaining myself soley on this. In an effort to make it all better
(and to realize significant cost savings), last night I did some grocery
shopping after looking up a few recipes for some tasty new soups to cook at
home. Last week I made a hearty lentil-vegetable soup (thanks Brie and
Graham!), but I really should have eaten some steak instead, seeing as how I
don't have that option at the moment :). So last night I made a sweet-potato
minestrone soup that turned out pretty good, especially when it was pureed for
my dining satisfaction. Alan and Andrea came over to enjoy some of it as well
since my large pot was overflowing with broth and vegetables (including celery,
garlic, onion, sweet potato, carrots, green beans, and tomatoes). I'm looking
forward to leftovers this week for lunch!

A few people have commented that I look better with my face swollen. Or maybe
it's not so much swollen anymore, but rather a bit meatier since my upper jaw
is wider now. Vas even said that now I look like a young boy rather than the
old man that I am ;o) . I have no comment, all I notice are the yellow bags
under my eyes!

Besides the liquid diet (note: I have progressed to overcooked pasta that is
small enough to swallow without chewing), the most annoying part is turning the
key on this arch expander appliance up in the roof of my mouth. I have to tie
this thing up to my left hand so it doesn't fall down my throat if I drop it
and then squeeze more sore jaw joints open so I can fit my right hand inside my
mouth and feel around for the hole the size of a pinhead in this damn thing.
Last night it took me about 20 minutes to find the stupid hole and then this
morning, after I'd woken up early to get to work early, I spent at least that
amount of time laying on my back poking around and couldn't find it for the
life of me. I was frustrated so I decided to give up on this turn and put the
key in my backpack in case I got bored at work and felt like sticking my hand
in my mouth in front of my coworkers. Well, I had a few free minutes so I went
for it and within a minute I had the thing cranked. Oh well, Thursday will be
the last turn of the thing, which I'm very much looking forward to....

J. Riley, my right-hand jaw joint is still very sore :-/

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:33 AM EST

    Being able to fit your whole hand in your mouth might end up becoming your coolest party trick -another upside to a very painful sounding surgery :^) Glad to hear your eating semi-solid foods.

    -Paul

    ReplyDelete