Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I'm Alive!

So I made it through the surgery okay today. I was never really worried about it, even while going through the physical and talking to the anesthesiologist. When I finally got into the operating room, everything happened so fast. There were about four residents in there, everyone was doing something to me - wrapping my head, sticking me with IVs (I had two, but the second one was put in after I passed out), putting this blow-up thing around my legs, etc. The anesthesiologist said that he was starting the first stuff, which would be "like I just drank a martini" and he put an oxygen mask on me. A few minutes went by, and then I woke up in the recovery room a few hours later.

I was convulsing becuase I was shivering so hard, so the nurses who were there wrapped me up with a heating blanket while I settled down. Some point after that, Summer came in and I think I scared her away pretty quick because my mouth was all bloody following the surgery. I just remember being really thirsty and my mouth and lips felt super dry. The nurse there was really nice and I must have been feeling the effects of the drugs when I sat there contemplating a career change and becoming a nurse :). I dunno, I never really considered it, but the idea is definitely interesting. I don't know how I do with blood and stuff though, never really thought about it.

So I came home and slept for a few hours after drinking some yogurt smoothies and popping painkillers. The Vicadin isn't really making me loopy, but it seems to make me tired, which is fine with me. My face looks like a chipmonk and I don't even recognize me in the mirror!

J. Riley, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:14 AM EST

    Makes my toes curl just thinking about it!!! Glad it went well, we were all thinking of you yesterday. Vicadin is a wonderful thing, though at some point you about have enough of feeling somewhat drugged. I am not sure about the nurse thing, you will need to talk to Suzy about that, once off the drugs!!!!

    DH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:52 PM EST

    Glad to hear you are doing good. We were thinking about you yesterday too.
    Take it easy...
    Terri and the gang :)

    ReplyDelete