Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Fashion Trend-setter or Klutz?

The blue-collar-worker look has been popular in fashion for several years as far
as I know. First it was the cargo pants, then the carpenter pants (you know the
ones with the little loop near the hip to hold your hammer), then the whole
"distressed denim" look with holes in various places from all the manual labor
that the guys with blazers or the girls with high-heels do. Lately, I've seen
guys a plenty down in Chelsea wearing jeans with splattered paint all over
them, though I'm pretty sure that the lawyers wearing them didn't get that look
by painting their 2500 square foot penthouses in the Meat Packing District. This
begs the question - what's next?

I think I may know. I made the discovery on Sunday morning as I was rushing to
get downtown to Nevada Smiths to watch the Man United vs. Liverpool football
game, Liverpool scarf around my neck and hat on my head (thanks Summer) and
all. Lacking time because of Skype conference calls with Spain (World Cup
preperations) and Peru (Don't ask) early in the morning, I ate some yogurt at
home and grabbed a Jamba Juice on my way to the subway. I heard the downtown
express train coming and scrambled through the turnstiles and ran down the
stairs as fast as I could. Actually, faster than I could because I lost balance
towards the bottom of the first staircase. My body's first reaction was to
clench my fists and brace for a face-first dive onto the not-so clean ground.

And that is when set the trend for the latest chic look - tight, lightly
distressed jeans that are fashioned like those of a garbage man, complete
with a Bright Eyed & Blueberry jamba juice smoothy running down my jacket, into
my gloves, and all over the front of my pants. When I'd clenched my fists, I
punctured that $6 fruity morning beverage and it ran all over me. And, oh, what
a cool look it was.

To top the morning off, Liverpool lost in the 90th minute of a 90 minute game
:-| , which pretty much made me depressed for the rest of the day (seriously).
Thankfully, D had invited me to a NY Rangers hockey game on Sunday night, which
they subsequently won in an action packed sixty minutes....

J. Riley, remind me not to send my friends or family down to Peru to visit.....

No comments:

Post a Comment