Sunday, November 14, 2004

How Many Blondes Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb?

Well, I'm checking in with my weekly weekend update blog. Like most weekends recently, it's been busy, it's been late, and it's been COLD! Ladies and gentleman, winter is here, whether we like it or not. There were reports of snow in Jersey on Friday night / Saturday morning, and my layer-count increased to three on Saturday, not including gloves, scarf, and beanie hat....

Friday, to add to the unpleasant temperature, we were inundated with some rain and heavy winds. However, even this wouldn't prevent me from attending my first cooking class in New York downtown in the Murray Hill area. The theme for this class is eating well and living well, so there were only fresh, organic vegetables used as ingredients. And only organic wine was drinken...drunken...drunk?? In any case, the class was a great way to spend a Friday night, meeting a group of about 10 people and a wide variety of age groups. We were given recipes and cooked up an autumn dinner, from adzuki bean soup to Delicata squash, black rice, and green beans. and it was wonderful! I plan on putting some of these recipes to use in the near future to impress my guests. "Oh, it's just something I threw together"...

Speaking of impressing guests with my cooking, I may have the opporunity to invite someone I met on Saturday over for a little dining delite and conversation. Saturday was my monthly engagement at a Hell's Kitchen housing center with some kids. This month, we took the kids to the Sony Wonderlabs, which is basically like a place that kids can go to and play with multimedia items that teach them a little about technology today (and sends subliminal messages to ask for Sony gadgets for Christmas). I was hoping that some of the volunteers from last month would be there again because it was a great group. Unfortunately, there was only one repeat volunteer, an intruiging young lady named Jen that I got along with very well last month. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to meet up with her in the very near future....

After "saving the world" (as some of my friends call it), I did a little shopping for some work pants at Jos. A Bank. Paul just returned from his second business trip to Israel in three weeks, so I met up with him and Cathy to try to get lottery tickets to see Rent! on Broadway. After being unsuccessful, we headed over to another street to try to get standing room or cheap tickets to something else. We struck gold at the theater playing "Dracula", $21 student fare for upper orchestra seats. We all whipped out our Cal Poly ID's and were golden.

I have to admit something: Dracula just plain and simply freaks me out. I envision Translyvania as a dark, mystic place with ghosts and vampires flying around. What is it about "Transexual....transvestites....from Tra-tra-tra-Transylvaaaaniaaaa" (Rocky Horror Picture Show)? I don't know, but one of these days maybe I'll get over it and take a trip to Romania to visit Vlad the Impaler's castle and get over this dracularphobia.

In any case, the show was mediocre, it was worth seeing for $21! The singing was good, but the melodies didn't sound right to me. The killer part of the show was all of the flying and physically suspended effects that the characters went through. Oh yea, and the part where the main actress pulls her dress down to her waist ;-) . Cool stuff! The story line was typical Dracula, cheesy at some points, freaky creepy at others....

Sunday I spent half the day trying to fix a guy I know's computer (stupid CDROM hardware issue - nothing I can do about that!). And also trying to change a LIGHTBULB! How hard can that be? Well, it's pretty tough if you're blonde. My badass chrome halogen light went out the other day and, after a trip to the local hardware store, I had my part. Except that now the lightbulb doesn't FIT into the spot?!?!? Does anyone have any hints? It's the right part, but it just isn't quite wide enough for both sides of the lightbulb contacts to touch. I guess I don't have the mechanic in me like....my sister does :-
J. Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment