Monday, November 29, 2004

Note To Self:

Happy Holidays! So last night I was standing in the mile-long taxi line at LaGuardia Airport at 12:30am and an idea hit me after waiting about a half hour in the line. Maybe, just maybe, one of the other thousands of people in this taxi line are going to Manhattan, like me. I know it's a long shot, but I would have put money down that there was at least one other person going to Manhattan. I looked at the couple in front of me and the guy behind me and thought, yea, they might be going to Manhattan. But I wasn't in a sociable mood, so I left it at that. Another ten minutes go by and right when I hit the front of the line, somebody else was hit with a similar idea and a lady and gentleman asked if anyone else was going to Manhattan. Quickly realizing that this was an opportunity to save some cash, I volunteered to share my cab. It was a win-win situation for both of us, they didn't have to wait in the line and I didn't have to pay the full fare. Why don't people do this more often at the airport? I mean, probably at least 50% of the people are going to the same 12x3 mile island, so it makes perfect sense. I ended up paying $10 for door to door service rather than the $25-$30 it would have cost me if I rode alone. It doesn't get any cheaper than that, folks....

I had a great trip back to Cali for the past few days for Thanksgiving. It wasn't warm enough for me to work on my tan, but I guess the company of friends and family more than made up for that! I even scored on the shopping front, purchasing a new pair of running shoes for $30 and finding a hip Sears & Roebuck jacket, light blue with white paint and black grease stains galore, in my dad's closet that he probably hadn't worn in about 10 years....

The J. Riley