Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Nomads

I'm stoked, my medical insurance is going to cover my jaw surgery in circa 2006! That's cool!

There's some interesting characters who "live" on my street. I've already talked about the white trash appearance and actions of some of them, but did I mention the nomad? If you've visited me during a reasonably-temperatured time of year (i.e. not winter!) you may have seen this character. Shoulder length blong hair, tan work boots (NOT Timberlands, which are fashionable among certain ethnicities), jeans, flannel shirts, he has all the attributes that a construction worker has. But does this guy work? I don't think so. Every single morning I walk out the door, I see him sitting on a stoop leading up to one of my neighborhoodly buildings. And every single day I walk home I see him sitting on a stoop leading up to one of my neighborly buildings (usually plucking his guitar)- but it's always a different stoop!! I have no idea where he lives because every day he's on a different stoop. I've considered unplugging my headphones and asking him what's up, but he's kinda scary looking, like he might be a psycho (gee, we don't have any of those in New York, do we? ;o), so I usually opt to continue listening to that last Def Leppard song before I get home.

There's lots of stuff with kids going on these days, what with my future niece/nephew being born soon and friends and cousins having twins. And I wonder about these kids, especially the twins. How closely can you correlate their childhood behavior (as babies) to their character when they grow up and mature? For example, my cousins' twins each have very unique personalities, one of them being very mellow and quiet, and one being more...active, we can say. I would expect that as they grow up, one of them would be more shy and the other much more outgoing, but I don't know if that is necessarily the case. So someone should start blogging about their kids so that in 15 years we can look back (like a journal) and have some sort of case study on this.Just a thought....

J. Riley, No I'm not going back to school to become a childhood behavior major.

2 comments:

  1. does that mean you have to wait til 2006 to get it done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, first I need to suffer through a year and a half of braces so my teeth are lined up and so that the surgeon knows where to cut :-X

    ReplyDelete